Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Close Encounter (New Example Essay)

by: Abigail Teves




We had our Bicol Tour last February 27-29, 2012 and we were all very excited because some of us will come to Bicol for the first time. On the second day of our tour, we had experienced Whale Shark Watching in Donsol, Sorsogon.


 At around 8 am, we had watched first a video about the Whale Shark/Butanding and the guidelines on what to do when we are there on the boat. After that, we had gone to the boat. We had put on our life vests and had fitted our goggles. At first, I was nervous because the watcher of the Butanding said that we will all dive in to the sea so that we could see the Butanding closer and I am also afraid because we will all dive at the middle of the sea and the boat will leave us behind so that the Butanding will not be distracted. I am also not prepared to dive because I had already made a decision the day before the whale shark watching that I will not dive.


When we’re already near the middle of the sea, I had changed my mind that I will go and dive because the opportunity is already there. The watcher said that he already saw a Butanding and we had dived altogether. On the first encounter, I had felt the body of the Butanding with my feet and it is very close to us. On the second encounter, me and my classmate were above the Butanding. It is really big and we are afraid that it might get nearer to us.


After the close encounter with the Butanding, we had went near an island to see the corals, we had dived again and we had saw some rocks under the sea. We had also seen two starfishes. We are all happy because we had saw two whale sharks and starfishes and it will be an unforgettable day for all of us.


I was relieved and felt happy because I had tried to dive and had a close encounter with the Butanding and it is more fun when you had experienced diving than just being on the boat. I had learned that we should think positive always so that we can do our tasks easier. We should not think of the negative things because it will hinder us to do our tasks. We should not be afraid of trying new challenges because it will be a new experience and a lesson for us.







(c) Abigail Teves and Anthea Donnellan for the pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment